Pages

Zondervan Text

I don’t do many book reviews, and especially not ones like this. But for all those who have a special place in their heart for the Biblical languages, this will be of interest to you. I collect Bible translations; I like to read in actual print (as astonishing as that may sound) over a computer screen or other such devices.

For a Hebrew edition of the Text, my first copy was the 1985 JPS version of the TNK (Tanakh) with the parallel English. Recently, I have purchased the Zondervan published A Reader’s Hebrew Bible (RHB)(which of course is just the Hebrew Scriptures and not the New Testament). This was very well done by A. Philip Brown II and Bryan W. Smith. For any reader who is fluent in Hebrew, or just beginning, I highly recommend it. It is very easy on the eyes, and the text is nice size. It does not have an English parallel, but does contain a glossary in the back and is heavily footnoted on every page for words used less than 100 times which are not proper nouns. It also contains glossing for proper nouns used less than 100 times. There are many more bells and whistles to this beautiful edition of the Hebrew Text.
There is also the Greek companion (Richard J. Goodrich and Albert L. Lukaszewski), A Readers Greek New Testament. Both of these volumes are done in separate editions. After purchasing my copies of each however, I learned that Zondervan does have a one volume copy containing both of these editions. So anyone who may be interested, I just saved you some time and money.

No comments: