Pages

The Day the Lord has Made

Since I have been on the subject of context, take a look at possibly the most misquoted verse in the entire Bible. I don’t believe reading this passage in context has gotten any better with the rise of Facebook memes (not that there's anything wrong with that).
 
“This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118:24

Christians love this passage, and why shouldn't we? It's quoted every time someone has a great day ahead of them, when a beautiful sunrise, sunset or a magnificent cloud formation is observed etc. There is no disputing that every day is a gift from God. Every day has its own unique blueprint and is special in significant ways, I don’t deny it. But, you will not get that from this verse. This verse says nothing of the sort. I wonder how many Christians have ever read this chapter and grasped its context/content? 

If this passage is read closely, it will be found to have familiar tones and familiar phrases also found in other strong messianic passages:

“But the LORD helped me. The LORD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation.” Psa 118:13

“Thus says the LORD, "In a favorable time I have answered You, And in a day of salvation I have helped You” Isaiah 49:8

"From my distress I called upon the LORD…The LORD is for me among those who help me, I shall give thanks to You, for You have answered me, And You have become my salvation." Psa 118:5, 7, 21

"I have toiled in vain, I have spent My strength for nothing and vanity; Yet surely the justice due to Me is with the LORD, And My reward with My God." Isaiah 49:4

“The LORD is God, and He has given us light” Psa 118:27

“I will also make You a light of the nations So that My salvation may reach to the end of the earth." Isaiah 49:6

“And I will appoint you as a covenant to the people, As a light to the nations” Isaiah 42:6

“The LORD has disciplined me severely, But He has not given me over to death.” Psa 118:18

“…as for His generation, who considered That He was cut off out of the land of the living For the transgression of my people, to whom the stroke was due? But the LORD was pleased To crush Him, putting Him to grief; If He would render Himself as a guilt offering, He will see His offspring, He will prolong His days, And the good pleasure of the LORD will prosper in His hand.” Isaiah 53:8, 10

“For You will not leave my soul in Sheol, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption” Psa 16:10


There are more such similarities, but perhaps I have sufficiently made my point. This is a messianic prophetic chapter. In 1 Peter 2, the writer couples Isaiah 53 to this theme as well. The passage “this is the day that the LORD has made…” has been taken and ripped away from that which it is describing! Yes, I concur, God has made every day, but that is not the intent of this passage. What then is the day the LORD has made?

"Behold, I lay in Zion a stone for a foundation, A tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation; Whoever believes will not act hastily." Isaiah 26:18

"The house of Judah, And will make them as His royal horse in the battle. From him comes the cornerstone…"
Zech 10:3-4


Paul, when writing to the Ephesians 2:19-20 commented, 

"but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone…" 

That Jesus is the cornerstone, is probably not news to anyone (1 Peter 2:6-7, Acts 4:11-12). Examine the Psalm again: 

“I shall give thanks to You, for You have answered me, And You have become my salvation. The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief corner stone. This is the LORD'S doing; It is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. O LORD, do save, we beseech You; O LORD, we beseech You, do send prosperity! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the LORD; We have blessed you from the house of the LORD” (Psalm 118:21-26). 

In the reckoning of the NT writers, the day the Lord ordained in which there should be gladness and rejoicing is the day the chief stone became the head of the corner! Jesus even quotes this passage about himself, 

"'Therefore when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those vine-growers?' They said to Him, 'He will bring those wretches to a wretched end, and will rent out the vineyard to other vine-growers who will pay him the proceeds at the proper seasons.' Jesus said to them, 'Did you never read in the Scriptures, 'the stone which the builders rejected, this became the chief corner stone; this came about from the Lord, and it is marvelous in our eyes'? 'Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people, producing the fruit of it'" (Matt 21:40-43, Mark 12:8-12, Luke 20:15-19).

Jesus is the chief cornerstone, laid as the foundation stone (among many stones – 1 Peter 2:5) of the spiritual House (temple) that is the ekklesia (his specified people). 

“The LORD has done it on this day. Let us be joyful and glad in it” (Psalm 118:24 – NIRV).

No comments: