Pages

The Mission

We are all on a journey. That journey can be dictated by many things. Those who are following the God of Israel with every ounce of strength and fiber of their being are being led into truth. This is by no means a "one-stop-shop". In order for truth to prevail in our journeys, we must have error driven out. In my case, it has been an on-going experience that takes place little by little and step by step. Anyone who claims to have it all together and possesses a full key ring to the mysteries of God is a liar, do not be fooled. Sometimes, it requires an about face and reassessment of "truth" that I have taken for granted as a "starting point" in light of a recently dispelled "error". One of the biggest stumbling blocks I have observed that makes the difference whether a journey is marked by "progression or pigheadedness"1 is pride. Pride is perhaps the strongest foe against progression on anyone's spiritual pilgrimage. Why do we so adamantly despise admitting failure, error or having been mistaken? To be honest, I am not entirely sure, perhaps it has to do with pride (satire - of course it has to do with pride). Perhaps it also has to do with security; if our "understanding" of God and His universe is our stability, and our intellectual comprehension of His universal mechanics begin quake and shake a bit, this may cause tremendous difficulties which we will attempt to protect and prevent at all costs. I wanted to post this short segment written by Skip because he voices well my own feelings on the matter.

Quite often I receive emails asking for interpretation of biblical passages. I am honored that you would consider asking me for my views...My work is an evolution in understanding. What I knew yesterday is only a platform for what I am learning today. It is a springboard for what I will learn tomorrow. Today may require me to abandon what I knew yesterday. Tomorrow I may have to do the same.
What this means is that I do not find much comfort in dogma or doctrine. What this means is that I am often confronted with biblical material that requires me to put aside my past beliefs. What this means is that I have to trust the character of the God I serve, not the accumulation of information that I presently have about the God I serve. What this means is that I will often be mistaken, misdirected, confused and concerned, but I will not abandon the quest to know Him, no matter where it leads.
My faith does not depend on a creed, a statement of beliefs or a collection of doctrines. Since all of these are but human attempts to probe the depths of an infinite God, I know they will all ultimately fall short of knowing Him. I am human, finite in perspective, limited in my grasp of my role in the cosmos. In the end I have only what Qohelet offers. ”Fear God and keep His commandments.”I am glad to offer my perspective on your questions, but that is all it is – my perspective. It may be carefully considered, well reasoned and biblically sound, but it is just where I am now at this moment in the long journey toward His presence. I am eternally grateful to those of you who have elected to come along with me as we explore, discover and revise. But I am just like you – agonizing over not yet knowing, hoping to see Him in the light. Skip Moen, D. Phil.
1. “We all want progress. But progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man. We have all seen this when doing arithmetic. When I have started a sum the wrong way, the sooner I admit this and go back and start over again, the faster I shall get on. There is nothing progressive about being pigheaded and refusing to admit a mistake” ~ C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

No comments: